[pmwiki-users] Install without execute rights

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Mon Aug 21 21:48:53 CDT 2006

On Tue, Aug 22, 2006 at 12:36:43AM +0300, George Barouxis wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am in a shared hosting environment where it's impossible to have
> execute rights. Is there any workaround for installing pmwiki under
> these circumstances? Perhaps an installation that has the .flock file
> and whatever else is needed in the wiki.d directory, so that pmwiki will
> start working right away instead of creating the files itself? (This may
> be nonsensical, I am not that experienced.) I love this wiki and I
> really want to use it, so any help will be appreciated.

I'm afraid I'm not sure what you mean by "execute rights" in this context.

It's okay to manually create the wiki.d/ directory -- just make sure that
PmWiki has write permission into this directory after it's created.  PmWiki
knows what to do after that.

But if the hosting service is set up such that PHP scripts aren't able to
create files at all, then PmWiki won't be able to create new pages.  Not
much we can do about that, short of designing an entirely different storage
backend.  :-|