[pmwiki-users] Maximum page-width in Katskin

Kathryn Andersen kat_lists at katspace.homelinux.org
Mon Aug 21 20:58:19 CDT 2006

On Mon, Aug 21, 2006 at 03:02:04PM +0200, Ben wrote:
> I'm using katskin for one of my sites now,
> its width is always using 100% of the screen size, basically.
> In some cases this causes text to have lines that are just too long.
>
> Can I set the site to take up a maximum width, like for example 900 pixels?
> And for sizes smaller than that it should behave as it does now, and
> resize/flow.
>
> I should probably do that somewhere for
> <!--PageHeaderFmt-->
> in the template, but I'm an old-style html guy, the div stuff is
> rather new to me.

Actually, you don't need to change the template for that, you can use
CSS -- PmWiki allows default CSS definitions to be overridden by using
the "local.css" file (in pub/css/local.css)

There is a max-width property in CSS (which, unfortunately, IE does not
recognise, but IE is broken and stupid).  So, you can set in your
local.css file something like this:

body {
        max-width: 900px;
}

Or perhaps

#wikibody {
        max-width: 900px;
}

(depending on what bits you want to have a maximum width)

> Also, for Kathryn: The Login button does not appear in IE for me, only
> in Firefox.
> Is this known to you, and is there a way to also have it appear in IE (6) ?
> (not for me, but for people needing to edit it later)

Have you looked down the bottom?  Because I was having problems with the
way that IE dealt with floats, I disabled the top buttons for IE, and
the login and page-action buttons only appear in the footer.

I'll probably bang my head against the IE problem again, but not until
I'm a little less busy.

If you want to see what happens when the top buttons are enabled in IE,
then comment out the following section in the "katskin/css/layout_ie.css" file:

#wikihead .wikicmds {
        display: none;
}

Kathryn Andersen