[pmwiki-users] How to strip wiki tags from action=source

kirpi at kirpi.it kirpi at kirpi.it
Sun Aug 20 16:06:34 CDT 2006

> > Luigi:
> > Do you mean something like
> > http://www.example.com/wiki/pmwiki.php?n=Mail.HomePage?attribute=plaintext

> Pm:
> Well, I meant more along the lines that in addition to having
> a "text=" attribute in the page file that contains the markup text,
> it would also have a "plaintext=" value of the pagefile that
> contains the processed and de-markuped text.  This would then
> be available to page variables and other recipes that want to
> grab the plain text for a page without having to process the
> entire markup.

Sorry, I can't follow you (due to technical ignorance).
I do not understand what you write and what you mean, it's my fault.
Anyway, I would take care that the page is also retievable in its
"plaintext" mode from an *external* link. Which is, just to repeat the
example written beforehand:
http://www.kirpi.it/wiki/pmwiki.php?n=Mail.HomePage is the normal page
http://www.kirpi.it/wiki/pmwiki.php?n=Mail.HomePage?skin=blank is the "body"
http://www.kirpi.it/wiki/pmwiki.php?n=Mail.HomePage?skin=blank?action=source
is the "wikified" body
http://www.kirpi.it/wiki/pmwiki.php?n=Mail.HomePage?something=anything
is the plaintext body

Of course you will come out with something more compact and clever
than I would ever imagine, anyway, whatever be the syntax and the
process, I would like to see it retrievable directly from anywhere,
directly from the url.
Could I express my thought clear enough?

> Pico:
> There may be different notions of plaintext for different contexts.  For
> example, inline and block.  Inline might be used in a pagelist, where
> you might not want any justification (centering or flushright) or any
> block formatting (list, paragraph, break, div, table...), but where you
> might choose to retain bold and italics, for example.  Block plaintext
> might be used for includes and copy and paste scripts from PmWiki
> generated content to a mail or other app, where it could include block
> formatting such as lissts, breaks, paragraphs.
>
> In light of the fact that there will be different contexts and needs for
> plaintext, I think:
> (1) the markup should accept some parameters, and
> (2) we need input and comment on what should be included in, and
> excluded from, markup rendering when a plaintext directive is invoked in
> different contexts.
>
> PITS/00773 might be a good page to collect or summarize comments.

Again, I cannot follow you, Pico.
All my simple mind can think is that if you go here
http://www.kirpi.it/wiki/pmwiki.php?n=Mail.HomePage?skin=blank and
select all and then paste it into an html <textarea> you get
something; *that* something is what I find a useful, really plain
"plaintext".
Things might get complicated by, as an example, tables. But I tried
with a basic table and it comes out nice an ordered.

Of course you meant something more interesting, but this I leave to
the others in the mailing-list.

Luigi