[pmwiki-users] I need help with clean URLs

Pico pmwiki at ben-amotz.com
Mon Aug 14 09:57:39 CDT 2006

theburroughsproject.com wrote:
> > Hello again. I've talked with tech support at godaddy.com, and they
> > claim that the mod_rewrite should work for what I'm doing, and have
> > assured me that there are no restrictions to mod_rewrite whatsoever. So
> > I just wanted to check with you one last time, to make absolutely sure
> > that I'm doing this correctly. This is what I'm doing:

I'm using GoDaddy and got my CleanURLS working last night (after having the
exact same problem).  So, presumably, that should take the hosting issues off
the table.  (But if you need more info to compare hosting settings, I can
provide them).

> > In my root document folder I have only two items: one folder named
> > "pmwiki", and one .htaccess
> > file. This is an exact copy of what's in my .htaccess file:
> >
> > # Use mod_rewrite to enable "Clean URLs" for a PmWiki installation.
> > RewriteEngine On
> > # The rewrite base will be the document root.
> > RewriteBase /
> > # Send requests without parameters to pmwiki.php.
> > RewriteRule ^$           pmwiki/pmwiki.php  [L]
> > # Send requests for index.php to pmwiki.php.
> > RewriteRule ^index\.php$ pmwiki/pmwiki.php  [L]
> > # Send requests to pmwiki.php, appending the query string part.
> > RewriteRule ^([^/a-z].*) pmwiki/pmwiki.php?n=$1  [QSA,L]
>
> This looks exactly right to me.  You might try removing the
> RewriteBase line and see if that helps.

FWIW, this may have been part of the problem in my setup.  I ended up
changing the RewriteBase line from "/user1" to "/" on an Example One
setup, but my setup was very different: WikiFarm, fields located at
www.example.com/user1 etc, subdomains (setup through GoDaddy control panel)
that make "www.example.com/user1" appear at "user1.example.com", and no
separate pmwiki folder beneath the field subdomains
"www.example.com/user1/field.php" instead of
"www.example.com/user1/pmwiki/field.php")

I note the only things that are missing from his .htaccess file, as
compared with mine, are the entries for

> Also, remove any index.php file that you may have in your
> document root, and see if the url
>
>     http://www.example.com/index.php
>
> works (you should see the PmWiki home page if it does).
> If that url doesn't work, try creating a _completely empty_
> index.php file and see what happens.

Again, FWIW, that was part of the process I followed in fixing mysetup.
(Unfortunately, I can't say exactly which change fixed my setup, and I
wasn't able to backtrack and re-break my setup to identify the exact fix).

Hey, wait a minute, while you are at it, shouldn't you look for and delete,
or rename, any of the other directory indexes that might be getting
called before index.php.  On GoDaddy, they supply a welcome.html file with
new accounts.  On some servers, index.php can appear pretty far down on
the list of directory indexes (I see one list that places index.php at
9 of 13 on Unix).  So, specifically, I would look for any files that start
with index.* welcome.* and default.* and delete, move, or rename them.
Are there any others I missed?

> I'm also wondering if the Apache webserver at GoDaddy is doing
> the equivalent of "AcceptPathInfo Off" and returning the 404
> error before ever trying the .htaccess or the mod_rewrite rules.
> You could try adding
>
>     AcceptPathInfo On
>
> to your .htaccess and see if that resolves the 404.

This wasn't something I ever had to do on my GoDaddy account.

Pico