[pmwiki-users] I need help with clean URLs

info at theburroughsproject.com info at theburroughsproject.com
Sat Aug 12 01:57:29 CDT 2006

Hello. I'm having a very difficult time getting clean URLs. I have my
pmwiki.php file and all of the folders in my main directory.

Right now my URLs look like this:
www.example.com/pmwiki.php?n=SomeGroup.SomePage

I want my URLs to look like this:
www.example.com/SomeGroup/SomePage

And I'd like, if possible, for the Main.HomePage URL to just be:
www.example.com/

I've been trying to figure out the "CookBook/CleanUrls" page, and there
are many details that I don't understand. This is probably not that
complicated, but I'm getting hung up on some of the terminology.

For example, whenever it mentions "~someuser", is that the same as
saying "somefolder"? Or is there a significance with the "~" and the
term "user"? What's a "user" in this context?

And where it says:

>   Here's the matching local/config.php file:
>
>   <?php if (!defined('PmWiki')) exit();
>   ## Use "Clean URLs".
>   $EnablePathInfo = 1;
>   $ScriptUrl = "http://server.example.com/~someuser/pmwiki";
>   ## more configuration settings...

what does the "server" in "server.example.com/~someuser/pmwiki";"
supposed to be? Am I supposed to change that to something?

My site is hosted at godaddy.com, do I need to contact them about the
server's "name" or something?

If someone could dumb this down for me, just give me a more "plain
language" step-by-step that's not way over my head, I'd really
appreciate it a lot. I've been trying different things for quite some
time, and I just can't make it work. I don't know much about servers or
rewriting.

Thanks,
Phil