[pmwiki-users] UTF-8 & not (in summary lines)

Donald Z. Osborn dzosborn at gmail.com
Thu Aug 10 15:30:59 CDT 2006

Generally I am pleased with the way PmWiki handles extended latin
characters.

I pushed the matter to see, by putting a short text with extended characters
(not the codes) in the "Summary" line before saving an edit and then noted
that in Recent changes, it showed the decimal codes for those characters.
Then I discovered that the Summary lines are always printed within [= =] .
Hence:

* [[PanAfrLoc/Manding]]  . . . 2006-08-10  07:37 by [[~Don Osborn]]: [=Ref
to Farikoloɲɛnajɛ daɲɛgafe=]

... and the summary line is unreadable for most of us...

Is there a reason for [= =] being inserted? If I wanted to, could this
default be undone?

Next question: Something is treating these extended characters differently
than the ASCII ones (or else [= =] wouldn't single them out for rendering as
code. Any ideas on how to solve that (not even sure at what level they're
being interpreted this way)?

TIA...

Don Osborn