[pmwiki-users] Core TOC (Was: PmWiki 2.1.12 released)

Tegan Dowling tmdowling at gmail.com
Wed Aug 9 18:54:19 CDT 2006

On 10 Aug 2006 11:15:27 +1200, John Rankin <john.rankin at affinity.co.nz> wrote:
> On Thursday, 10 August 2006 9:36 AM, christian.ridderstrom at gmail.com wrote:
> >On Tue, 8 Aug 2006, Tegan Dowling wrote:
> >
> >> http://pmwiki.org/wiki/PITS/00027
> >
> >The page has this now...

> >That has to be one of the more popular requests!
> >
> >Patrick asked for some "fleshing out of the basics", so how about some
> >discussion on what we'd like from a TOC. The basic assumption is probably
> >that functionality should be pretty basic, and the extra stuff will go
> >into recipes. John's TOC recipe is of course a good page now:
> >
> >       http://www.pmichaud.com/wiki/Cookbook/PageTableOfContents
> >
> >As for me I use John's recipe in this way >90% of the time:
> >
> >       (:toc:)         - Just produce a TOC
>
> Same here!
>
> I also note Christian's modesty. For those readers who are
> newish to the list, the main reason that toc works as smoothly
> as it does is because Christian carried out exhaustive testing
> and made innumerable excellent suggestions as to how it should
> work. He gave me many "he's right, but how on earth am I going
> to make it work that way" and "yuk, that's not right" moments.
> >
> >And sometimes.
> >
> >       (:toc Table of Contents:)       - To get a new TOC title
> >
> >Btw, I wouldn't be adverse to letting the syntax of the last become one of
> >these:
> >
> >       (:toc title="Table of Contents":)
> >       (:toc heading="Table of Contents":)
> >
> >cheers
> >/C
> >
> Yes, I really need to bring the syntax into line with PmWiki 2
> conventions. The code can also be simplified -- it should now
> be able to insert * start of line markup instead of doing its
> own <ol><li> thing. And that will I think make it easier to
> add a level=n parameter, where n is the depth of toc. At the
> moment it always does level=2.
>
> --
> JR
> --
> John Rankin

What I use and value:
I use (:*toc:) more often than (:toc:),

I often specify alternative text for the TOC title, like  (:toc Table
of Contents:)

I highly value being able to create a toc on the sidebar that reflects
the contents of the page.

Wish-list items:
I would like to be able to specify something like (:toc
showhide=hide:) to set the default display of the toc's show/hide
toggle.

Additional levels would be wonderful - especially if I could specify
how many, on a per-usage basis.