[pmwiki-users] :: notifylist :: how to setup step-by-step help needed ::

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Wed Aug 2 13:36:57 CDT 2006

On Thu, Jul 27, 2006 at 01:55:01AM +0000, Merilene wrote:
> hey, i'm a newbie in desparate need of help. i swear i have read everything i
> can & still i'm stumped.

Let's see if we can de-stump things for you.  :-)

> all i want to know is:
>
> ** how to create the notifylist itself (step-by-step)
> ** setup a registration page to add to notifylist (step-by-step)
> ** configure notifylist.php to send out to list all recent changes every week
> (step-by-step)

Let me start with the second item first -- at the moment PmWiki
doesn't have a built-in "registration" system to allow people
to add themselves to the notify list.  It generally has to be
done by a system administrator, or else open the Site.NotifyList
page up for editing so that others can add themselves.

However, as was suggested, one can set up a separate mailing list
(e.g., using Mailman or Majordomo), and then configure PmWiki to
send notifications to that list.

To create the notify list itself, simply add the following line
to local/config.php:

    $EnableNotify = 1;

To get notify.php to default to sending out messages not more often
than once per week, set

    $NotifySquelch = 604800;

Then, create a page called Site.NotifyList with entries for each
mailing address to be notified.  From your message of July 23,
this would be:

    notify=m at telepoetics.com
    notify=m1 at telepoetics.com
    notify=m12 at telepoetics.com

Replace the " at "'s above with "@" as appropriate, of course.

If you have a mailing list of some sort, instead of listing
each individual address you could just list the mailing list
address: