[pmwiki-users] Button to add text to end of a page

Pico pmwiki at ben-amotz.com
Sun Apr 30 20:08:57 CDT 2006

Robby Van Sciver wrote:
> Is there a way to create a button that when clicked it will add text to
> the end of another page?
>
> My site has a list of performances and if a person has a copy of it, I
> want them to be able to click a "I have this show" button which will
> then insert:
> * [[(Performances.)YYYY-MM-DDShowTitle]]
> to their user profile.  I thought it would be easier if people can click
> a button than finding and manually entering every show he or she owns.
>
> Any ideas?

I would also be interested in something like that.  Appending text to a
page other than the page that is being viewed may be a tough request.

Note that the bookmarklet recipe provides a partial solution by
generating a link for the page being viewed (the performance, in your
example) and appending that link to the end of another page (the user
profile page, in your example).  But, in doing that, the recipe takes
the browser to that other (profile) page using an edit action, and
leaves the user in the open edit screen.  To get all of that to work,
the recipe requires a special browser bookmark that contains java script

If that sounds good to you, then check out that recipe and try to adapt
it to your specific situation.

If what you want is (1) a PmWiki specific solution that uses wiki markup
links, instead of browser bookmarked java, and (2) a server side
solution that appends the link to a different pages behind the scenes
(without taking to to an edit screen of your profile page), then we are
in the same boat.

An entirely different approach is to make use of Wiki categories and add
a user's link to the performance page, rather than adding a
performance's link to the profile page, and then using categories (or
pagelist) to generate lists for each user that lists all of the
performances that they have marked (with this links).

Again, that isn't what I wanted, but if it would suit your purpose, the
solution might be easier, because you would be doing a quick edit,
append and save of the currently viewed (performance) page that makes
use of the viewer's identifier.

Pico