[pmwiki-users] HTMLDoctypeFmt etc

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Fri Apr 28 16:29:39 CDT 2006

On Fri, Apr 28, 2006 at 11:17:08PM +0200, Knut Alboldt wrote:
> To use embedded SVG in Firefox 1.5 (not using the <object>-tag) I had to
> change the HTTP-Header and the $HTMLDoctypeFmt (I had to use XML-files
> instead of html or xhtml)
>
> So I did change $HTMLDoctypeFmt for testing within a test-copy of
> pmwiki.php - but I wasn't used.
>
> So I searched a bit and found out that the <!DOCTYPE-Statement is set
> several times in pmwikie.php and within the skin-template-files.
>
> So now my question: why does $HTMLDoctypeFmt exists when it's not used ?

It's there for backwards compatibility with previous versions
of PmWiki (before we had the skins/template system).  It
also is used whenever a skin is not loaded for whatever
reason.

> And is there a possibility to change this information in any config-file ?

PmWiki considers the DOCTYPE to be part of the skin template,
since the remainder of the skin details are closely impacted
by whatever DOCTYPE settings are in place.  Thus, the
primary mechanism for adjusting DOCTYPE would be to adjust
the skin somehow.

As a simple example, simply replacing the <!DOCTYPE ...>
information in the skin's template file with $HTMLDoctypeFmt
would probably allow the doctype to be adjusted from config.php.

> I tried a lot but at last I couldn't get it working cause the generated
> HTML is not XHTML or XML conform (e.g. Header-Markups are generating

PmWiki shouldn't be generating <p> tags that aren't closed;
(or any invalid XHTML for that matter) -- could you demonstrate
this on pmwiki.org somewhere?