[pmwiki-users] Repost: Could Edit always include Preview?

Gary Spivey gspivey at georgefox.edu
Fri Apr 28 11:18:51 CDT 2006

I think it would be great if the edit window came up with the page
rendered at the bottom, and if the preview button were hit, the edit
window would stay, but the previewed page would replace the current page
on the bottom. Then, we could have iterative editing without jumping
back and forth and entering a lot of diffs.

Great idea Tegan!

-Gary

At 2006-04-28  10:10 AM -0500, Tegan Dowling is rumored to have said:
>Is there something I could change, so that whenever a page is
>displayed in edit mode (whenever ?action=edit), then the preview is
>also provided ("e_preview" is also activated)?  I don't think any
>controls would have to change - maybe just the EditForm, somehow? Or
>maybe there could be code I could plug in somewhere, e.g. into
config.php?

>This would make editing a little easier and training *much* easier.

Tegan

This is an interesting idea (worthy of a PITS entry, for sure), but I
would be inclined not to refer to the displayed text as a preview,
but as the "current page view" (or something less verbose).

For example, you might display:
* edit buttons
* edit window
* current page view

This would allow newbies to see what the page looks like *now* and
they could also see the markup that gives the current result.

However, this does become more complicated once they start editing,
because they will probably want to preview their changes before
committing to them. I suppose you could do a Gemini-skin-style
preview popup, but that gives you 3 views of the page on the screen
(current, edit, preview of edit). And if they do a save and edit,
then you need to refresh the "current page view". My users seem to
have enough trouble with 2 views.

Just some rambling thoughts on the idea .... ;-)

Neil Herber
Corporate info at http://www.eton.ca/