[pmwiki-users] Persistent attacks on pages

Neil Herber nospam at eton.ca
Sun Apr 23 10:23:18 CDT 2006

At 2006-04-23  11:13 AM -0400, Pico is rumored to have said:
>b. Password Protecting the page would make it harder for people to add
>comments.  On the other hand, maybe the comments should be broken off to
>a separate page, leaving the basic recipe to be password protected.
>That has other benefits for this page because its comments have included
>long lines of literal text that throws off the screen size.

I would suggest password protecting the page, but revealing the
password in plain text on the page so that humans can read it. The
type of attack you are describing sounds like a robot or zombie, and
they don't bother password protected pages as a general rule.

Example: "To edit this page, you need to use the password 'zxcv'
without the quotes."  Put this somewhere near the top of the page.

A second  possibility would be to password protect the page but use
the commentboxstyled recipe to add a comment form to the bottom. This
allows people to add comment without knowing the edit password.

Neil Herber
Corporate info at http://www.eton.ca/