[pmwiki-users] general browser rant (was: Re: cursor bug with firefox)

Neil Herber nospam at eton.ca
Fri Apr 21 17:08:04 CDT 2006

At 2006-04-22  09:54 AM +1200, Allister Jenks is rumored to have said:
>So, in a nutshell, if you have cursor problems that occur with
>Firefox only - BLAME THE BROWSER.  It's obviously got significant
>issues in this area.

I am running Firefox 1.5.0.2 on WInXP SP2 and the last 2 or three
updates have created (I hate to say this) a less than stable browser.

I have had it lock up the entire machine for minutes at a time, to
the point where you cannot even launch the task manager to forcibly
end FF. I have also had cases where I have launched it and nothing
appeared to happen, so I reclicked and again saw nothing. Checking
the TM showed 2 instances of FF running using no CPU and doing nothing.

Today it started minimizing the browser window at seemingly random
periods to the point where all you can see are the 3 buttons in the
upper right corner.

Something is not right in the land of FF, and I would not spend a lot
of time beating yourself up over seeming problems with PmWiki skins.

Just as a heads up warning, Microsoft in a recent IE "upgrade"
changed the way that it handles Javascript or Active-X components on
a web page. You now need to press space-bar or enter to "activate"
the script. Just what we all needed - more activation headaches from
MS. (I may have the technical details wrong here, but I have seen it
in "action". HA!)

</rant>

Neil Herber
Corporate info at http://www.eton.ca/