[pmwiki-users] cursor bug with firefox

Hans design at softflow.co.uk
Fri Apr 21 04:44:37 CDT 2006

I found a curious cursor bug with Firefox, which is unfortunately
affecting the edit window using popup preview, and wonder if anyone
can shed light on it:

Popup preview works by displaying the preview as an absolute
positioned div above the edit textarea. A button on the preview div
will close it via javascript function using
    document.getElementById(obj).style.display = 'none';
(using the ShowHide script).

But clicking this button in Firefox will result in an invisible cursor
in the edit textarea. Doing some tests I found the cursor will only be
invisible if the mouse position, when clicking the button, lies within
the underlying edit textarea (preview lies on top). If the
mouse position is just without this area, then the cursor will appear as
normal.

This is annoying, and maybe nothing can be done about it, if it is a
Firefox bug.

A workaround I can think of:
Avoiding the "Close Preview" button(s) on the preview div, and placing
it instead above the textarea next to the Preview button, and showing
it conditionally if a preview is present. But this will result in this
toggle button to become a "Show" button, when the preview is hidden.
This is not desirable, as it may be confusing next to the "Preview"
button. I can set the value for lshow='', which will make the button
shrink to a small size and show no label, but still it is there.
Well it is the best I cam come up with right now.

Another workaround may be to somehow change the preview div layout to
make sure the "Close Preview" button is always above the top of the
underlying edit textarea. I may need to add a bit of extra height to
the guiedit button row.

I would be glad for some feedback on this matter, before I rush and
change all the Popup-EditForm pages for Gemini, FixFlow and Triad
skins.

Best,
 Hans