[pmwiki-users] Core Spam Blcok Thoughts

Chris Lott chris.lott at gmail.com
Thu Apr 20 15:33:44 CDT 2006

On 4/20/06, Neil Herber <nospam at eton.ca> wrote:
> With the current Blocklist2 script, I cannot see any way to have a
> farm-wide blocklist unless you are willing to share the Site group,
> which is where Site.Blocklist lives. (Yes, the *script* can be
> shared, but not the list.)
>
> So having an "unblock" is a moot point, since there is no farm-wide block.
>
> Just to be perfectly clear, I think that when you say:
> "fields" you mean wikis
> "sitewide" you mean farm-wide

Right-- fields = wikis, sitewide = farmwide. But I don't understand--
I DO have a farmwide block, at least in effect. I have a
Site.blocklist in my "wikibarn" (the main installation)-- and it is
working on every field...

My setup is
PMWIKI installation from subversion:
/home/wikibarn/

in that I have:
/home/wikibarn/wikilib.d/Site.Blocklist

When I create a field I just use a wrapper script for index.php
include('/home/wikibarn/pmwiki.php')

Every field then is, apparently, using that blocklist. For instance, I
have a brand new wiki field in:
/home/aein/wiki

and the only files it has in its wiki.d (/home/aein/wiki/wiki.d) are:
Main.HomePage  Main.RecentChanges  Site.AllRecentChanges

But it is still blocking based on the Site.Blocklist file in the wikibarn!

What I was/am seeking is an option to unblock particular terms on a
particular field... which I guess would actually mean a second file...

> If only 1 out of 100 wikis in your farm needs special handling, I
> would be inclined to make it a new standalone wiki, not part of the farm.

That's just one extreme example-- the problem is that when 1 out of
every 20 needs special handling and I end up creating a standalone for
it, with hundreds of wikis I end up with what drove me crazy in the
first place-- dozens of individual installations... yech.