[pmwiki-users] DITA-like functionality in pmwiki using FillTemplate - was RE: display in WikiForm

Bellave Jayaram bellavejayaram at cox.net
Tue Apr 11 21:01:00 CDT 2006

FillTemplate is exactly the recipe that I was looking for that makes
rudimentary DITA (Darwin Information Typing Architecture for those curious)
like functionality, more specifically simple information typing and separate
processing of content and presentation, possible in PmWiki.  For a single
wiki page, one can have multiple templates displaying it in multiple ways
for multiple audiences thus maximizing content reuse. Once content in PmWiki
can be structured by using separate templates for content and presentation,
mapping wiki content to DITA for later processing by DITA aware tools
becomes an easier proposition.

One can get real fancy with templates calling templates, variables holding
values which are other variables, conditional processing etc. but for now, I
am very happy with what we have since authors won’t need to deal with XML
(DITA is XML based). I just need to figure out a few more things about both
DITA and PmWiki and find time to populate the PmWiki-DITA group on
pmwiki.org with more content.

BTW, is the FillTemplate recipe usable on pmwiki.org yet?

Also, someone mentioned Smarty templates in a recent post – I wonder if
someone can comment on how FillTemplate compares to Smarty.

Thanks to everyone for making PmWiki such fun.

Jayaram

  _____