[pmwiki-users] How do you all manage search lists?

Tegan Dowling tmdowling at gmail.com
Mon Apr 10 21:26:48 CDT 2006

On 4/10/06, H. Fox <haganfox at users.sourceforge.net> wrote:

> On 4/10/06, Dave Weil <wikimasterdave at yahoo.com> wrote:
> > I am working on a company knowledgebase and having to name the pages
> what I
> > would normally title a page will lead to some very long page names. From
> > what I have read all that is searched are page names so I am wondering
> what
> > others are doing about this? Anyone?
>
> PmWiki's built-in search feature searches page text.  Did you read in
> a page on pmwiki.org?  If so, please indicate which page so it can be
> clarified.
>
> > Is there no add-on that helps make the search a bit more useful like
> > searching page contents or something?
> >
> > So far I have named pages
> >
> > Main.How_To_Recover_From_A_Corrupted_Installation
> >
> > and such, but a lot of titles are even longer than that.
> >
> > Thanks in advance to anyone who can offer some suggestions.
>
> Here's another approach to consider:
>
> Directives are your friends.  Name that page something shorter like
> Main.RecoverCorruptedInsttallation and then use this markup in the
> page:
>
>     (:title How to Recover From A Corrupted Installation:)
>
> You can also add keywords...
>
>     (:keywords recovery,crash:)

It's also often useful to use Wikigroups to help provide contect for
pagenames, so the the names don't have to carry all of the burden of
identifying their contents.  So instead of
Main.How_To_Recover_From_A_Corrupted_Installation, you'd create a HowTo
wikigroup and name the page HowTo/RecoverCorruptedInstallation.  Then (a
separate issue), you can display the page name with spaces, as
[[HowTo/Recover Corrupted Installation]].

Ask, if that's not clear.