[pmwiki-users] Howto format monospace

Joachim Durchholz jo at durchholz.org
Mon Apr 10 01:55:25 CDT 2006

pmwiki at 911networks.com schrieb:
> Any suggestion?

I use [@...@] and do the indenting and formatting via CSS.
Take a look at
http://durchholz.org/jo/debian-install/Main/FormatPartitions and
http://durchholz.org/jo/debian-install/pub/skins/local/pmwiki.css ; the
relevant CSS passages are those for "code" and "pre".

Disadvantages:
* PmWiki markup isn't interpreted inside the [@...@] blocks. This is bad
because I can't use styles there (e.g. to highlight passages, or to
insert a running commentary).

Advantages:
* PmWiki markup isn't interpreted inside the [@...@] blocks. This is
good because I can then copy&paste shell script fragments and such
without having to worry whether I need to escape parts of the text.
* The indent is done using CSS, not via   and such. So if people
copy&paste from the HTML page, they don't inadvertently copy superfluous
space characters. (This *can* be a problem; sometimes, indentation does
indeed matter.)
* The indent is done using CSS, so I can copy over the passages from the
text shell window without having to insert leading spaces or do any
other formatting when pasting to the PmWiki edit field.

At this time, I'm rather happy with the way it is. Particularly the last
issue is highly important for me: that I can simply copy&paste from a
text window without even having to think about formatting. Since I'm
copying&pasting a lot, and these snippets are the core of the entire
site, that's paramount; I'm not sure how much of that reasoning applies
to your site.

Regards,
Jo