[pmwiki-users] This post has been blocked by the administrator

Pico pmwiki at ben-amotz.com
Sat Apr 8 11:11:53 CDT 2006

I got this message on a page and it took a bit of figuring out to figure
out what was going on and how to work around it.  Had I someone added me
to the blocked list?  No, I figured out that the problem was that I that
the link I had added took me over the limit for external links (I was
accumulating cross-reference links, internal and external, to related
material).  The solution was to go back and change the markup for my
unapproved external links, from [[www.example.com]] to [@www.example.com@].

I think it would be helpful for ordinary users to be presented with a
more specific error message when their post is blocked due to the number
of external links, and, perhaps, to be presented with a workaround, e.g.
This post has been blocked by the administrator.  Remove or disabled
external links to continue.

Now, of course, the argument against this is that it would also give
guidance and assistance to spammers.  Without that added information,
their their immediate reaction might be like mine: oh #@$! I've been
blocked as a spammer!  If they receive more targeted information, then
they may be tempted to follow the advice and continue with their
spamming.  Of course, as for the links themselves, they will never work,
but I understand the concern here.

What do you think?

Pico