[pmwiki-users] Protecting Site. pages

Allister Jenks arj at zkarj.co.nz
Mon Apr 3 17:14:31 CDT 2006

On 4/4/06, Tegan Dowling <tmdowling at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 4/3/06, Allister Jenks <arj at zkarj.co.nz> wrote:
>
> > On 4/3/06, OBUTEX / Hladůvka <admin at obutex.com > wrote:
> > >
> > > try
> > > Site/GroupAttributes?action=attr
> >

> > I've done that already.  My point is which pages do I need to unprotect
> > (allow read) to allow the site to work?
> >

> One reason this is missing from the documentation is that there is so much
> variation, from skin-to-skin, in what pages exist (and what their names
> are).
>
> Most pages in Site need to be read-able by anyone who's permitted to view
> the site.  It's probably quicker to read-protect the few that *do not* need
> to be available for reading.  This is one reason I typically create an
> "Admin" group on a new wiki, for what that's worth - giving me a group
> that's 'behind the scenes' that I *can* make completely read-protected.

Thanks for the feedback.  I think the reverse approach you suggest is
probably the smarter one.  But, for instance, I would imagine it would be
good practice to read-protect Site.AuthUser?  I'm looking for guidance on
which pages should/shouldn't be protected.  At least I implemented the
'exclude from search' recipe so they don't show up there.

--
Allister