[pmwiki-users] Help with FAST Membership recipe

Allister Jenks arj at zkarj.co.nz
Mon Apr 3 17:12:16 CDT 2006

On 4/4/06, The Editor <editor at fast.st> wrote:

> Hi Allister!
>
> Have been away from the computer over the weekend, and apologize for
> not getting back to you earlier.
>
> Unfortunately I don't have a solution for your problem.  I'm still
> trying to get email verification really working properly with this
> script, but am not there yet.  If you don't mind manually doing some
> of the work, you could have them create the account but only add them
> to a password group once the paypal is confirmed.
>
> Just a thought.
>
> Cheers,
> Caveman
>
> PS.  If you do come up with a solution, let me know.  I'm interested
> in something like this as well, and would like to add such a
> capability to the recipe.

I've implemented a quite reasonable workaround.  I have a page
Main.Subscribe which fulfils all the purposes of the (:membership:) markup.
When a visitor is not logged on, it tells them what the process is.  I.e.
create account, log in, select product and go to PayPal.  To facilitate the
process I have another page Main.AccountCreated which contains a giant,
bright message saying "Account created.  Please log in".  The words "log in"
are a link to do exactly that, and pointing back to the
Main.Subscribepage.  After that message I (:include
Main.Subscribe:).  The net effect is the user sees the whole process as
being on one page and the message appears at the top prompting them to log
in with their new account.  Once they log in the page content changes to
show the PayPal buttons and all is well.

The only improvements to this I see would be nice are for the 'create'
process to (a) show a message that the account has been created (just like
the actions on the admin view) and (b) automatically log them in.  Then I
could just direct the action back to the same page without the need for the
additional page and the log  in prompt.

But it's not urgent.  I think my workaround is fine for now.

--
Allister