[pmwiki-users] Fwd: RFC: Core candidate offerings

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Sat Apr 1 16:45:18 CST 2006

On Sat, Apr 01, 2006 at 05:56:50PM +0100, Hans wrote:
> Saturday, April 1, 2006, 3:43:19 PM, Ben wrote:
> > I think the argument incorporating list items fails for a key reason.
> > When two groups of list items are separated by white space, doe PmWiki
> > not create two separate lists? This is part of the reason why you
> > can't put white space between ordered list items--it will start
> > incrementing again (absent an explicit value setting). So, we are
> > really talking about vertical space between <ul> and <ol>, not space
> > between individual <li> within the same group.
>
> Just to point out that pmwiki does not create two separate lists when
> list items are separated by a blank line.
> [...]
> I think this behaviour to honour whitespasces in lists was added for
> pmwiki 2.1

No, this has always been PmWiki's behavior.

The change in 2.1 had to do with the use of horizontal (not
vertical) whitespace to indicate nesting of lists, so that

    # This is item 1

      This is text within item 1

    # This is item 2

produces

    1.   This is item 1

         This is text within item 1

    2.   This is item 2

Previously the only want to achieve the above was to use '\\\'
in the markup, as in:

    # This is item 1\\\
    This is text within item 1

    # This is item 2

which is decidedly less friendly and intuitive to authors.