[pmwiki-users] title directive and links

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Fri Sep 23 21:16:17 CDT 2005

On Fri, Sep 23, 2005 at 03:39:23PM -0700, Dan Weber wrote:
> Some of the format variables seem to use Wiki markup and some seem to
> use HTML markup. How do I know when I have to use HTML and when I have
> to use Wiki markup? While the HTML approach allows more flexibility the
> Wiki approach is nice because I can use Cookbook entries like the
> PageTitle one.

There's not an easy way to know in general, because different recipes
work with PmWiki pages at different stages of storage and translation.

In the case of $RecentChangesFmt, it's holding things that are to be
stored into pages (RecentChanges), therefore it needs to be wiki markup.

In the case of the search output, it could've been designed to
generate either HTML or Wiki markup.  I went with HTML in this case
simply because it allows more flexibility in output, and takes less
time to generate because PmWiki doesn't then have to retranslate things.

I've been looking for a good way to specify page list formats
using wiki markup, but hadn't come up with anything that seemed
reasonable until having seen Cookbook.PageListTemplates, which looks
very promising.

Pm