[pmwiki-users] Recipe looking for author -- (:mail:)...(:mailend:)

chr at home.se chr at home.se
Fri Sep 23 05:28:12 CDT 2005

Hi

I just copied'n'pasted an e-mail onto my wiki and realised that it'd be
good to have a special markup to wrap around the e-mail.

Let's say we'd like to store a bunch of mails on a wiki page. One solution
that is already available is to simply paste them as plain text, but then
linebreaks typically go haywire. Not to mention the ugliness caused by
some lines having a space in front of it while others dont...

A slightly better alternative is to place them within [@...@], which only
has a problem when the mail contains really long lines. This has the
drawback that links and e-mail adresses within the mail aren't recognized
as such.

So how about if we introduce a special markup, (:mail:)...(:mailend:), to
be placed around e-mails? I'm far from sure about exactly what the
markup should do, but here's some of the things I think might be useful:
* Recognize links
* Recongize e-mail addresses
* Break long lines automatically (perhaps assuming 80 characters wide)
* Preserve line breaks?

Unfortunately I'm much to busy to write this now, but I'd at least like
some comments on what should be the result of such a markup. (I'll be very
happy if someone tells me we already have this btw).

Is this something that seems useful to people?

Btw, markup such as '(:code:)'...'(:codeend:)' is closely related to
this.. should this functionality go there instead?

/Christian