[pmwiki-users] download links on pmwiki.org

H. Fox haganfox at users.sourceforge.net
Mon Sep 12 17:58:46 CDT 2005

On 9/12/05, Martin Fick <fick at fgm.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 12, 2005 at 10:53:24PM +0100, Hans wrote:
> > Recently 3 links were added to the sidebar:
> > Download
> > (tgz)
> > (zip)
> >
> > I find it a bit disconcerting that they do not point to actual pages.
> > The first points to a directory, the others to files.
> > I find it okay if such links are used on a page, if it is made
> > apparent where the links are pointing to, or what they are.
> > But on a sidebar I find it too cryptic and confusing.
> > Certainly I would expect to go to a page named 'Download',
> > not just to a directory. Obviously the page 'Installation' fulfilled
> > this purpose. Perhaps its link should be called 'Download & Install'.

I hope not that.

* It doesn't match the other items.
* It's wide.

> > Do we need those three strange links?
> > </end of moan>
>
> I couldn't disagree more! ...well maybe I could. :)
>
> Really, have you ever been to a comercial site to download
> something to find nothing but a link maze.  Try downloading
> ja*a from s*n some time.

Here, here.

>  What is the purpose of these
> pages?  To sell me on their philosophy?  To convince me of
> their quality and commitment and the completeness of their
> line of technologies?  It does nothing but show contempt
> for users.  If someone wants to download something, give
> them the real thing, don't string them along!  I think
> pmwiki links are very clear and to the point,
>
> -Martin
>
> Note: I had nothing to do with setting them up.

I did.  :-)

The reasons:

* Encourage people to update to the current release. (Allow them to
see which version is current and get it quickly.)
* Encourage test-driving of PmWiki.

After I added the line to the sidebar I re-arranged the default page
at PmWiki/PmWiki a bit.  Now the same three links are included on that
page.

I removed the line from the sidebar (before I read Martin's post).

How about a compromise (if one is necessary): put a link in the sidebar to

    http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/PmWiki/Download

It's one more click, but it links to a page.  I just switched over to that.

So now the question is: Since the links are in the default page at
PmWiki/PmWiki, is the Download link in the sidebar superfluous?  (IMHO
the fewer links in the sidebar the better)

Hagan