[pmwiki-users] Faster searches and categories

Martin Fick fick at fgm.com
Mon Sep 12 11:31:12 CDT 2005

On Mon, Sep 12, 2005 at 11:18:34AM -0500, Patrick R. Michaud wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 12, 2005 at 12:07:50PM -0400, Martin Fick wrote:
> > I know that pm and a few others are working on an indexed
> > mechanism to speed up backlinks (categories), but my
> > solution is so simple and fast, that I thought I had to
> > share it.
>
> Just for completeness: fast category and backlink indexes
> are enabled by default in 2.0.5.

I have not tried this yet so I am just guessing, but here
are some thoughts:  the indexes will speed up sebsequent
uses of the indexes, but it still seems like creating the
indexes may take an extreme amount of time at some point.
On larger sites with slower machines even a single index
creation could timeout the apache session (I think the
default is 30 seconds on debian).  I could be wrong, but I
don't see anyway around this using indexes.

> Arbitrary searches are still slow, but we might be able to
> merge in some of the grep-based search ideas for this as well.

As you have mentioned in that past, it would probably be
best  to add a search mechanism directly to the pagestore.
This could even be done with the current pagelist search
mechanism.

-Martin