[pmwiki-users] sending email off-list

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Tue Sep 6 12:01:49 CDT 2005

On Tue, Sep 06, 2005 at 11:42:03AM -0400, Waylan Limberg wrote:
> Ideally, IMHO, the list should be configured so that
> <pmwiki-users at pmichaud.com> is included in the REPLY-TO header on all
> mail sent from the list. That way, whenever anyone hits reply in their
> email client, the reply will be directed to the list by default.

I've been following the guidelines for reply_goes_to_list in the mailman
software itself, which strongly advocates not setting an explicit
Reply-To header.  This also conforms with "'Reply-To' Munging Considered
Harmful" [1].

There is a dissenting opinion at "Reply-To Munging Considered Useful" [2],
but so far I've tended to err on the side of the mailman defaults,
plus what has worked for me in the past.  I know that I'm subscribed
to several other mailing lists that explicitly set a "Reply-To" header,
and it's a bit cumbersome for me to then send an off-list reply.
When Reply-To isn't set, it's trivially simple for me (using "mutt")
to get the replies to go where I want.

But I'm adaptable, if there's a clear majority in favor of adding
the Reply-To header, I'll see about changing it.