[pmwiki-users] Creative Commons

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Fri Sep 2 15:41:23 CDT 2005

On Fri, Sep 02, 2005 at 01:20:53PM -0700, H. Fox wrote:
> You could put the code in your skin's template file, but keep in mind
> that PmWiki is licensed under the GNU General Public License and that
> GPL-incompatible license block might not be appropriate to display in
> a PmWiki site.  (I'm not an expert with such things, so maybe it is.)

PmWiki (the core software in the distribution) is licensed under the
GNU General Public License.  However, the contents of any pages
generated by PmWiki can have their own license, unaffected by the GPL.

A good analogy is a word processor -- the copyright on the word
processing software doesn't normally restrict or affect the
copyright of any documents produced by that software.

For those who are curious about how PmWiki's copyright affects
things like recipes that are in the cookbook, I take a stance
similar to the one that the Linux kernel does for its dynamically
loadable kernel modules; namely, the dynamically loaded modules are
allowed to have licenses independent of the core distribution.
(However, I require that anything that goes in the core has to be
something I can convert to GPL.)

In the past I've essentially stated that it's my intention that the
PmWiki documentation pages are effectively under something like
a free documentation license, if not the GPL itself.  Now that 2.0.0
is released I'll probably see about an official statement to that
effect to clear up any ambiguity.  If anyone has authored things
on pmwiki.org and has a problem with this, now would be a good time
to say something.  :-)

Pm