[pmwiki-users] Completely clean URLs (Was: Get rid of groups altogether?)

Waylan Limberg waylan at gmail.com
Wed Oct 26 15:18:44 CDT 2005

Joachim, I see you beat me by 5 minutes. If I was ranting about the
current state of things, I'd have got my answer out first. Anyway,
heres soem additional thoughts.

On 10/26/05, Joachim Durchholz <jo at durchholz.org> wrote:
> Michael Widowitz schrieb:
>
> I'd try to set up a rewrite rule that maps http://mysite.com/SomePage to
> http://mysite.com/pmwiki.php?n=Main.SomePage. I'd make that redirect
> internal so that browsers don't "see" it.

You could use this with the [[http://example.com/HomePage | HomePage]]
 suggestion I made. As Mod_Wrreite is altering the link behind the
scenes before PmWiki ever getts it, there would be no redirection.
But, who want to type all there internal links that way? If you don't
mind, it is a workaround.

Michael Widowitz wrote on 26.10.2005 02:27:
> Hello,
>
> I am just taking my first steps with pmwiki. At the moment, I am still
> struggling with my web provider to get the clean urls running. Assuming
> that this will work out fine, I will then have URLs in the form of

I assume this means your host does not have Mod_Rewrite enabled. If
so, that idea is out the window. Although, if your host doesn't have
something so basic, I would seriously consider changing hosts. There
are plenty with resonable (debatable I supose) rates that offer such
things and more as the default.

> What I don't know how to do is making PmWiki generate the right links.
> If PmWiki detects a link to another PmWiki page, it will generate a link
> to a URL like http://mysite.com/Main/SomePage, and that's not what you
> want. I'm pretty sure there's a way to override this behavior, probably
> along the lines of "write a small PHP function and hook it into one of
> PmWiki's global function arrays". You can take a look at
> Cookbook/Functions (unless it's PmWiki/Functions) to see whether that
> hook is already documented, otherwise Patrick is the best source of
> information for this kind of things.

Patrick commented on this in a few different threads here on the list
recently. I don't remember exactly what he said, but it sounded pretty
complicated to me. Thus my previous comments about altering the core.

--
----
Waylan Limberg
waylan at gmail.com