[pmwiki-users] Synchronization?

Kerim Friedman oxusnet at gmail.com
Sat Oct 22 14:08:37 CDT 2005

I'm sure this has been discussed before, but I couldn't find any
documentation on it. I'd like to synchronize my online PM Wiki
installation with my local one using RSync. I was able to create a
local mirror of the online install, and to get it working on
localhost. I'm using Mac OS X and I did this by creating a PM Wiki
folder at the top level of my "Sites" folder into which I copied the
entire PM Wiki file from my web host. To get things working I had to
additionally fix permissions on the "wiki.d" folder as well as clear
all the group permissions I had set online. (My passwords weren't
working on the local isntall, and besides - I don't need them.)

So now that I've gotten this far, how to I set up two-way
synchronization between the two installs, so that I can add content
offline and have it synced when I'm back online without overwriting
existing content?

I assume I just need to sync the contents of "wiki.d"? If so, a couple
of questions: First, where are the Group Attributes stored? I don't
want to sync those since I have them set differently on each (no
passwords on localhost). Second, how to do a two-way sync with RSync?
I assume I just run it twice? Once in each direction? That will be OK
if I'm the only one changing files, but what if a file is changed in
both locations? Rsync will normally only keep the most recent version.
Minimally, in such a case I need Rsync to do nothing and to tell me
where the conflicts are so I can merge them manually. Ideally, it
would be nice to automate this in some way, although how that would
work is beyond me.

kerim