[pmwiki-users] More notes and plans for PmWiki 2.1

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Fri Oct 21 13:39:59 CDT 2005

On Fri, Oct 21, 2005 at 12:50:11PM -0400, Waylan Limberg wrote:
> > * PITS:00322 - support case-insensitive urls
> Vary good to hear. I'd say this is a must have, or at least the
> ability to have all lowercase URLs however its implemented.

Actually, after thinking about it over lunch, and reviewing
the comments on this issue, I'm thinking that case-insensitive
URLs may not make it into 2.1.0.

The reason for waiting on this is that there are several issues
that simultaneously impact all of the others:
   - case-insensitive urls
   - page names with spaces  ("How To Edit" instead of "HowToEdit")
   - storing pages with accented characters in the name ("Éditer les pages")
   - storing pages with punctuated names ("Patrick's page", "L'Edition")
   - uncapitalized words in page titles ("How to edit" vs. "How To Edit")
   - compatibility with existing versions/sites

I'm going to need a strategy and plan to address all of these
issues, and not just one issue in isolation.  If I implement
case-insensitive urls without adequately taking all the others into
account, it'll just make things worse instead of better in the
long-term.

I'll think about it more over the next couple of days, but so far
it looks like it's not the "low hanging fruit" that characterizes
most of the other changes identified for 2.1.0.