[pmwiki-users] Re: commented version of wikistyles.php

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Fri Oct 21 08:02:46 CDT 2005

On Fri, Oct 21, 2005 at 05:20:57PM +1300, John Rankin wrote:
> Are you saying it isn't possible to ask a local wikistyles.php
> to produce

>     is purple
>
> instead? Or are you saying that we'll need to modify the dtd
> we are using, and the subsequent xslt processing, to support
> what pmwiki can produce?

Well, I wasn't intending to say anything about what is or isn't
possible, just trying to explain how WikiStyles is currently
implemented.  :-)

While it's possible to write *a* version of wikistyles.php that
can generate <style> tags like the above, the current wikistyles.php
is designed assuming that it can do all of the needed output
within the current line of markup.  In other words, there's not
any provision in wikistyles.php to generate closing tags of
any sort (e.g., </style> in your example) at the end of the block,
which may occur many markup lines later.

Wikistyles.php could possibly be modified to be able to
support <style> tags nested within blocks (and possibly other
at least the wikistyles code and perhaps even to the
block-handling code.  This isn't to say it can't be done,
just that it'll take a fair bit of redesign to have happen
(and could introduce lots of incompatibilities with some
existing recipes).