[pmwiki-users] {$UrlPage}

H. Fox haganfox at users.sourceforge.net
Fri Oct 21 06:16:37 CDT 2005

On 10/20/05, Patrick R. Michaud <pmichaud at pobox.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 20, 2005 at 06:35:29PM -0700, H. Fox wrote:
> > >
> > > More likely:
> > >
> > >    404 Main.SomePage
> > >    404 Main.SomeOtherPage
> > >    301 Main.SomeOldPage => Main.SomeNewPage
> > >    301 SomeGroup.SomeGroup => SomeGroup.HomePage
> >
> > Much better.  Would a line that doesn't start with a valid status code
> > be ignored?  More to the point: it would be nice if some descriptive
> > text could be included in the page.
>
> Yes, this is the way I normally do things (e.g., XLPages, ApprovedUrls,
> RecentChanges, etc.).

Just making sure.  :-)

> > If wikipage has a certain status, what would be displayed?  How about
> > a Site.Status404 page with some wiki markup so the WikiAdministrator
> > can customize the 404 error message (for example)?
>
> Following PmWikiPhilosophy #3, do we *really* need this level of detail/
> control?

Not if it's a lot of trouble.

>  And do we need pages for every possible status code (in
> the core)?

No.  One or two common ones would be plenty.

> Or do we simply ship PmWiki with Site.Status404 as the new version of
> Site.PageNotFound (used for any non-existent page), and it's then up
> to the site admin to create special Site.StatusXYZ pages for any
> other status codes he/she decides to start using?

That sounds good.

I was thinking of 404 as an error status, so I was forgetting that the
existing Site.PageNotFound page does in fact get used for 404-status
pages.

Something to consider for a CMS-type installation:  When the visitor
(reader) isn't logged in they should see a 404 "error" page.
Otherwise, as an editor, they should see a "Create PageName here"
page.  For that, (:if ! auth edit ...:) and (:if auth edit ...:) would
do the trick.

Hagan