[pmwiki-users] Re: commented version of wikistyles.php

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Thu Oct 20 22:20:42 CDT 2005

On Fri, Oct 21, 2005 at 04:00:36PM +1300, John Rankin wrote:
> I'd still like to figure out how to produce

> is purple.
>
> instead of

> is purple.

Hmm.  Well, WikiStyles are defined assuming that inline (non-block)
styles don't cross markup lines.  Thus, if someone wrote

    %purple% All of the text in this block
    is purple.

There's an assumed %% at the end of the first line, causing
"is purple" to be unstyled.  To get the %purple% to apply to
the entire block, one writes

    %block purple% All of the text in this block
    is purple.

which produces

    is purple

In this way, a wikistyle markup rule only ever modifies the
the current markup line being processed -- it doesn't have
to generate closing markups on subsequent lines.