[pmwiki-users] Re: commented version of wikistyles.php

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Thu Oct 20 21:08:08 CDT 2005

On Fri, Oct 21, 2005 at 02:40:21PM +1300, John Rankin wrote:
> On Friday, 21 October 2005 2:12 PM, Patrick R. Michaud <pmichaud at pobox.com> wrote:
> >> By comparison, the xhtml is:

> >> is purple.
> >> </li><li style='color: purple;' >Purple people eater
> >> </li><li style='color: red;' > Now this list is red
> >> </li><li>And this is normal
> >> </li></ul>
> >
> >Is this the xhtml that your extensions are producing?  I would
> >expect PmWiki to produce:

> >is purple.
> ></li><li>Purple people eater
> ><ul><li>Now this list is red
> ><ul><li>And this is normal
> ></li></ul>
> >
> No, this is what pmwiki produces. See:
> http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/PmWiki/BasicEditing

Ohhh, I didn't catch the reference to BasicEditing earlier, or
realize that this is where you got this particular example.

I guess I get to apologize to you a whole bunch here, because,
well, one can't entirely trust the HTML output of the BasicEditing
page.

Since the page is constructed using a (:table:), and >><<
sequences don't nest in tables, the BasicEditing page can't
use actual >><< markup to generate the "What it looks like"
column on that page.  So, what the page does in this case is
"fib" a bit by generating the cell on the left using markup
that is different from what is given in the cell on the right.
It generates things so that the rendered output *looks* the
same on a screen, but the resulting HTML is actually different
from what you'd get if you used the markup given on the right.

The real output of that markup is at
http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Test/PurpleCow, and there
it comes out as

    is purple.
    </li><li>Purple people eater
    <ul><li>Now this list is red
    <ul><li>And this is normal
    </li></ul>

Again, my sincere apologies for any confusion this might've caused.
AFAIK the BasicEditing page is the *only* place where any sort
markup "trickery" like this exists.