[pmwiki-users] Is it possible to include: quicktime movies and PDF files

Neil Herber nospam at eton.ca
Wed Oct 19 21:29:07 CDT 2005

At 2005-10-19  10:12 PM -0400, Waylan Limberg is rumored to have said:
> > ??  Since most of us have PDF browser plug-ins, can the pdf file
> be launched
> > within a wiki page?  I can create direct download links for PDF
> files stored
> > in the server.  Just wonder if I can make it easier for the users to view
> > PDF files instead of downloading the files and waiting for it to be
> > launched?
>
>If I'm understanding you correctly, the answer is No. You cannot embed
>a PDF as part of a HTML document (like you can with Flash for
>example). PDF's are only viewable along. The user will have to select
>the link to the PDF and then view the PDF in the appropriate reader
>(usually a plugin for their browser). Of course, this is why many
>people discourage the use of PDFs. Is there any way the content of
>those docs could be directly included in the wiki instead?

This may be a red herring, but it is possible for PDFs to be
"byte-served" if the server knows how to handle the file. In this
case, the server only sends the particular page or a few pages
surrounding the page being viewed. The browser must have the PDF
viewer installed.

When I ran a WebStar server, it had a PDF byte-serving plugin. I
don't know if such facilities exist for other servers. I suspect that
nobody talks about it much anymore because widespread highspeed
access has made byte-serving unhelpful for anything but the biggest PDFs.

Neil

Neil Herber
Corporate info at http://www.eton.ca/
Tel: (613) 829-4668