[pmwiki-users] hard page break in print view

Chris Cox ccox at airmail.net
Wed Oct 19 17:18:58 CDT 2005

John Rankin wrote:
> On Thursday, 20 October 2005 8:10 AM, Patrick R. Michaud <pmichaud at pobox.com> wrote:
>>On Wed, Oct 19, 2005 at 03:04:25PM -0400, Russ Fink wrote:
>>>Thank you, that worked like a charm.  I echo your sentiment, is there some
>>>way to add this easily into a wiki markup, perhaps a style, (even a
>>>cookbook recipe) so that I can say something like,
>>>%hardpage%
>>>or even
>>>(:hardpage:)
>>>?
>>Try:
>>
>>   $WikiStyleCSS[] = 'page-break-before';
>>   $WikiStyle['hardpage'] =
>>     array('page-break-before' => 'always', 'apply' =>
>>'block');
>>
>>Then you can use %hardpage% on any element to force a page break
>>before it, as in
>>
>>   !! %hardpage% Why PmWiki is the best package ever
>>
>>Pm
>>
> Just a suggestion: it may be appropriate to tansfer this to
> the print css, so there is always a new page before (say)
> <h2>. Otherwise, the authors have to remember to apply the
> style to every heading on every page to get a consistent look.

I disagree with trying to build a side effect into the existing print
css. The idea of a printable view is different from guessing where
page breaks should go (people like to decide those things).  Now...
it we wanted to make a separate print css or a switch... that's ok.

> And if it were me, I'd call it 'newpage' by analogy with 'newwin'.

I like %newpage%... that gets my vote (if included as a core style).