[pmwiki-users] recent changes problem

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Fri Oct 14 17:20:18 CDT 2005

On Fri, Oct 14, 2005 at 01:55:32PM -0700, Edin Hodzic wrote:
>    If I change a line in the PostRecentChanges function, recent changes start
>    working.
>
>    The change is in the line# 1149 from:
>
>        $rcelim = preg_quote(preg_replace("/$RCDelimPattern.*$/",'
>    ',$pgtext),'/');
>
>    to:
>
>        $rcelim = preg_quote(preg_replace("/$RCDelimPattern/",'
>    ',$pgtext),'/');
>
>    Looks like the original line was killing my change before it was added to
>    the file or something like that. I don't understand how this works for
>    everyone else?!
>
>    Can anyone comment on what's the purpose of the original line? Is my
>    change safe? Should it be done differently?

Well, this change fundamentally alters how RecentChanges works.
By default, RecentChanges is supposed to only show the last edit
for each page; i.e., each page is displayed only once.

With the change above, I'm guessing that RecentChanges will show
*every* edit made to a page, not just the last one.  If that's what
you're actually looking for, then you can achieve this (w/o modifying
pmwiki.php) by setting the entries in $RecentChangesFmt to not have
a pair of consecutive spaces in the output, or by setting
$RCDelimPattern='x x x'; in a local customization file.

If that's not what is happening, then there is something very
strange going on and I'm intensely curious to figure it out... :-)

I read your original message(s) as saying that RecentChanges pages
were only ever storing the first edit to a page; i.e., once a page
was listed in RecentChanges then later edits never updated that
page's entry in RecentChanges.  Did I misunderstand the problem?

(Note that an author has to actually make a change to the page
in order for it to generate an entry in RecentChanges -- simply
doing edit page + save isn't treated as a change and doesn't
update RecentChanges.)

Pm