[pmwiki-users] A couple of newbie questions

Charles Bruen cabruen at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 5 17:31:59 CDT 2005

Hello --

I have been quiet for the past couple of months getting the feel for
PmWiki and laying down the architecture of my site (1671 pages so far,
all
created by hand).

http://medicalfieldnotes.com

I absolutely love the program you have created. Thank you so much for
all
of the hard work that has gone into it.

In my experimentation though, I have come across several things which I
don't understand.

1. On my all of my {Group}.HomePage I have a link in the SideBar that
is
something like this: [[SideBar?action=edit | Edit SideBar]]. This works
fine for all of my group HomePages. It allows me to click and edit that
group's SideBar. However when I am on the Main.HomePage, instead of
editing Main.SideBar, I would rather open Site.SideBar for editing
since
it is the default SideBar of the PmWiki. Is this possible.

2. When I do a search, I almost always get a timeout error. Is this due
the large number of pages I have in my wiki. Am I approaching the upper
limit for PmWiki. I am projecting that that when completed we may have
~4000 pages.

3. I have my wiki setup with clean urls according to the cookbook
directions with

$ScriptUrl = 'http://medicalfieldnotes.com';
$PubDirUrl = 'http://medicalfieldnotes.com/pub/';
$EnablePathInfo = 1;

and the following .htaccess file instructions

Options +FollowSymLinks
RewriteEngine on
RewriteRule ^/?$ /Main/HomePage [R=permanent,QSA,L]
RewriteRule ^([^/a-z].*) pmwiki.php?n=$1 [QSA,L]

My question is this, when I type in an arbitrary address such as
http://medicalfieldnotes.com/junk.html PmWiki does not return a 404
code,
but rather puts me on page Group.Name. This is rather annoying for
things
like Google Sitemaps and others. In my user statistics one of my most
accessed files is Group.Name which obviously does not exist. Have I set
something up incorrectly or is there a way to make PmWiki avoid this
behavior.

4. Is there a way to create hyperlinks in the (:title :) of a page. For
example I have pages like this

(:title generic-drug-name (trade-drug-name) :)

I would like to create a hyperlink on the trade-drug-name to the
pharmaceutical company's offfical website.

5. When I upgraded to 2.0.10, my uploads are no longer working. I don't
have much information to go on yet, but I thought I would add that data
point.

Thank you very much again for everything. Happy Wiki'ing.

-- Charles Bruen