[pmwiki-users] Workflow?

John Rankin john.rankin at affinity.co.nz
Mon Nov 28 18:03:58 CST 2005

On Tuesday, 29 November 2005 9:43 AM, Patrick R. Michaud <pmichaud at pobox.com> wrote:
>On Mon, Nov 28, 2005 at 03:19:08PM -0500, Henrik Bechmann wrote:
>> Patrick,

>> various proposals the "edit" action would *always* come up with a draft,
>>
>> No, I meant that the edit action would come up with a draft *only if a
>> draft copy is present*. A draft copy would only be present IF an edit
>> user had previously explicitly decided to save a draft (radio button
>> choice between "publish" and "save as draft") before save.
>
>Oh.  This sounds more like what I wrote in my alternate proposal,
>which is that there would be "Save" and "Save as draft" buttons.
>In general I'm not keen on radio buttons -- I generally prefer
>separate explicit actions.  And the site admin or recipe can easily
>change the "Save" button to be something like "Save as release"
>or "Publish".  (Note that the verb "publish" has a different meaning
>for other receipes, such as PublishPDF.)
>
>So, pressing "Save as draft" saves the current page into
>"Group.PageName-Draft", and the -Draft page is used for all
>subsequent edits of the original page until the normal "Save"
>button is pressed.  When "Save" is pressed, any existing -Draft
>page is deleted.

When we did something similar for pmwiki 1, we used a wiki.draft/
directory instead of a -Draft suffix. By default, a reader saw
the current version, but could also view the draft version.
The Edit link changed to 'Edit Draft' and an author also had
options to:
- edit the original (Save as Draft over-wrote the current draft)
- delete the draft (which released the original for editing)
- view the original, if viewing the draft

There was also the case of a new page saved as a draft. The '?'
edit new page indicator changed to show that editing the 'new'
page would edit an existing draft.

I can't remember why we chose the wiki.draft/ approach
rather than -Draft.
--
JR