[pmwiki-users] Re: conversion of rtf and/or html

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Fri Nov 25 14:05:41 CST 2005

On Fri, Nov 25, 2005 at 07:52:57PM +0000, Hans wrote:
> Friday, November 25, 2005, 7:34:20 PM, Anno wrote:
> > There is an online  tool
> > http://diberri.dyndns.org/html2wiki.html
>
> Thanks! It did a good conversion into mediawiki, but the output is
> useless in pmwiki. In fact the conversion left all the html tags like
> <B> <U> <BR> <FONT> , so mediawiki seems to tolerate all these.

If we did an RTF->PmWiki or HTML->PmWiki converter, how would we
expect someone to typically use it?

For HTML we could do something along the lines of the ExcelPaste
recipe -- i.e., someone copies HTML into a PmWiki edit form, then
presses a button that submits the document to PmWiki; PmWiki then
converts the HTML to equivalent PmWiki markup (as best it can)
and returns the to the edit form for further editing/cleanup.

I'm not sure what we would do for RTF; I doubt that people want to
be pasting RTF code directly into the edit form.  Here we'd probably
need to have an ?action=rtf that allows someone to upload an RTF
file and have it converted and presented as an edit form.

Any other thoughts or suggestions?