[pmwiki-users] Defining and displaying chess diagrams in WikiPages

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Wed Nov 23 13:58:43 CST 2005

On Wed, Nov 23, 2005 at 09:07:37PM +0100, Christian Bartolomaeus wrote:
> > It's possible that your installation of PHP doesn't have this
> > function included.
>
> I guess, that's the problem. If I start chessboard.php directly, the
> error message is:
>
>   Fatal error: Call to undefined function: imagecreatefromgif() in
>   /var/www/pmwiki2/pub/chess/chessboard.php on line 57

It's possible that your server has the image functions loaded
but not imagecreatefromgif().  The imagecreatefromgif() function
is only available if PHP was linked against specific versions of
the GD library, whereas imagecreatefrompng() shouldn't have those
issues (assuming your PHP can do graphics at all).

An easy way to check is to set $EnableDiag=1; in your config.php
file, then run ?action=phpinfo, and see if there's a "gd" section
and which fileformats are enabled.