[pmwiki-users] Defining and displaying chess diagrams in WikiPages

Martin Fick fick at fgm.com
Mon Nov 21 17:16:50 CST 2005

Christian,

On Tue, Nov 22, 2005 at 12:16:41AM +0100, Christian Bartolomaeus wrote:
> * On 21.11.2005 Martin Fick (fick at fgm.com) wrote:
> > [...]
> > I had a similar idea but decided to use a URL to describe
> > the board's layout instead.  You can see and try it here:
> >
> > http://www.theficks.name/Hacks/ChessBoard
> >
> > I do not use any wiki markup for this so it does not quite
> > look as nice in the page text, but it is usable from any
> > webpage, not just a wiki page.
>
> it looks interesting as well! I hope, I will find some time to take a
> closer look on your php-script. Perhaps it is possible to combine both
> approaches, so that one could define positions either with a GUI or
> with a directive.

Actually, the GUI is just a pmwiki helper form to create URLs

If you wanted wk=E1 bk=E8, you would simply make an image
url equal to:

http://www.theficks.name/chess/render.php?e1=WK&E8=BK

to embedd this into a pmwiki page all you need is a fake
image extension:

http://www.theficks.name/chess/render.php?e1=WK&E8=BK&.gif

> it looks interesting as well! I hope, I will find some time to take a
> closer look on your php-script. Perhaps it is possible to combine both
> approaches, so that one could define positions either with a GUI or
> with a directive.

Yes, I think that your wiki syntax would be a nice addition.

  -Martin