[pmwiki-users] FCKeditor?

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Mon Nov 21 09:57:44 CST 2005

On Mon, Nov 21, 2005 at 03:00:55PM -0000, Peter Miller wrote:
> However, none of them are familiar with markup language of any sort, being
> used to using Word. Ideally, I'd like to integrate the unfortunately named
> FCKeditor with PMwiki as FCK have done with their install of MoinMoin here:
> http://wiki.fckeditor.net/
>
> I don't know how complex that would be to implement, but if I could do that
> then the only problem I'd have would be users referring to it as
> 'fuckeditor' while we have clients wandering around.

One big problem with integrating an editor such as FCKEditor with a package
like PmWiki is that it's very difficult to integrate custom markup
sequences and local customizations, which is one of PmWiki's biggest
strengths.  FCKEditor would have to somehow be able to detect which
customizations are available and know how to display them properly,
which probably means duplicating every markup conversion in both PHP
and Javascript.

With the current state of web and browser technologies, I doubt
that it's possible to come up with a system that simultaneously
meets all of the following goals:
    * cross-browser compatible
    * graphical editing a la FCKEditor
    * customizable markup and configuration
    * OS independent
    * allow authors to use different editing styles and editors

Something like Ajax might help here.  Overall I think that the fact that
very few (if any) of the popular wiki packages have integrated something
like FCKEditor is a good indication of the difficulty of the problem,
or that doing so requires too many compromises in other features
considered important to the wiki engine.