[pmwiki-users] A Wiktionary with PmWiki?

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Wed Nov 9 12:51:08 CST 2005

On Wed, Nov 09, 2005 at 01:25:44PM -0500, Waylan Limberg wrote:
> > Yes, but in this case what exactly do you mean by
> > "the way they have been entered"?

> IMO, that is what the page title is for.
> [...] Guess that's why I like setting the page
> title. You get to explicitly set both the URL and the Title of the
> page separately.

And what happens when the page title changes, does this mean
that the url changes as well?  That could be bad -- sometimes
we want a short url with a long displayed title.  It's important
to remember that the name of a page needs to be able to be
independent of its title (PmWiki 1 suffered from the problem
that they were too closely linked).

> > What about for links appearing at the beginning of a sentence?
> >    [[Basic text editing]] can be performed using any web browser.
>
> Just do: [[basic text editing | Basic text editing]] can be performed
> using any web browser. Not to hard, although I can see some users
> getting confused as to why the simpler [[Basic text editing]] doesn't
> work in this case.

...not to mention that in order to link to a page, an author
have to know the exact case of the title when writing the link.
*That's* annoying, and certainly a violation of PmWikiPhilosophy #1.