[pmwiki-users] External linking question.

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Wed Nov 9 10:42:25 CST 2005

On Tue, Nov 08, 2005 at 12:43:23PM -0500, Christopher L Drake wrote:
>   What I want to do is link via include (or something along the same
> lines) to a pmwiki page as source data. For example, if you had a box
> on a site that the wiki existed inside of (say, the main page of a
> domain, with the wiki one layer deeper in the Dir structure), would it
> be possible to access one of those wiki pages to get a list of links
> to fill it? I want to be able to have a soft editable page on the wiki
> that will let me edit the main page's links by proxy without access to
> the main page's source.
>  Can anyone tell me if this is feasible? If not with the current code
> (aside of making a new parsing script), can anyone offer up a hint as
> to where I'd start a recipe from that would do it as an add-on?

Sure, it's feasible, but it really depends on how the main page
is constructed as to whether it will work out.  If the main page
is itself a php script, then you can do the equivalent of

  readfile("http://www.example.com/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main.LinksPage?skin=none")

and have a special PmWiki skin that does nothing but return the
HTML version of the markup.  Of course, it's up to the main page
to provide any css definitions or other things that might be
needed to render the markup correctly, since in this usage
PmWiki doesn't have any ability to affect the HTTP headers or the
<head> section of the main page.