[pmwiki-users] extra vspace w/ directives?

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Tue May 31 12:15:13 CDT 2005

On Tue, May 31, 2005 at 10:06:56AM -0700, dan mcmullen wrote:
> Patrick R. Michaud wrote:
> >On Tue, May 31, 2005 at 09:35:59AM -0700, dan mcmullen wrote:
> >>very minor issue: is there any way to avoid the extra vertical space
> >>(para?) which appears above the page text if it is preceded by a
> >>'(:directive:)'?  see <http://pmwiki.org/wiki/Test/JustText> vs
> >><http://pmwiki.org/wiki/Test/DirectiveAndText>.
> >
> >Also, one can avoid the paragraph line by placing the text on the
> >same line as the directive -- see
> >http://pmwiki.org/wiki/Test/DirectiveAndText2 .
> >
> >But perhaps the correct answer is that initial "blank" lines don't
> >produce a vertical space paragraph -- i.e., we don't generate
> >been produced.
>
> thanks for looking at this.  i'll note that a similar issue exists when
> (:include:)ing pages, where putting the text following the include on
> the same line is not possible.

It is possible -- as long as the included page doesn't have a newline
at the end.  See http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Test/IncludeWithoutNewline .

When creating (:include:) there was some consideration given about
whether it should automatically insert or remove newlines around
the included file; I finally decided that the best course was to just
do the straightforward thing and then leave it alone until there was a
better case to be made for doing something different.