[pmwiki-users] RE: Fixed: Error in cookbook rename function

Joachim Durchholz jo at durchholz.org
Sun May 29 11:30:43 CDT 2005

Dirk Blaas wrote:
> To avoid the problem of incompatibility with next beta's of PmWiki, i
> would vote for the rename function to be promoted to the core
> functionality. I think it offers very basic functionality.

I agree it's basic functionality. It's also something that's needed on a
rather regular basis, particularly for the first wikis somebody sets up.
(E.g. initial group setup almost never is quite right.)

So here goes my vote for having it in core.

To answer Patrick's objections about workload and responsibility: Both
can remain with individuals other than our esteemed Main Maker and
Mover; all that's needed is a suite of regression tests so that if a
change in one module breaks other modules, the person working on the
module is notified and the check-in is aborted. (I know that setting up
and maintaining a regression test suite is a lot of work, but common
wisdom is that the effort pays back massively. It also allows going from
a cyclic release policy to a continuous one, where micro-releases are
given out as soon as some incremental change passes regression.)

Regards,
Jo