[pmwiki-users] PmWiki seems to "hang" on overloaded boxes

Radu radu at monicsoft.net
Tue May 24 16:31:51 CDT 2005

At 01:30 PM 5/22/2005, Patrick R. Michaud wrote:
>  We built some other workarounds
>into the system, including a way for authors to be able to break the
>.flock when it occurred.

Where is this documented?

>  (However, AFAIK it hasn't occurred at all since beta30.)

In two instances I had this happening in beta36, after saving edits. It was
exactly the same behavior, only that it was writing nothing (0 bytes) in
the wiki.d file. Upon further checks with the server admins, it turned out
that there were problems with the quota, since they were using the server
on which my site was as a temporary backup device, and it tended to max out
every now and then.

I wanted to put a hack into pmwiki's WritePage function to counteract it,
but everything I thought of is not perfect (and Pm didn't like my solutions).

However, I submit that this is a serious concern on many sites which run on
shared servers. Losing entire pages and their history is a real pain, no
matter where the fault lies. In PageStore, around

       if (file_exists($pagefile)) $s = $s && unlink($pagefile);
       $s = $s && rename("$pagefile,new",$pagefile);

I added a check like:
       if (file_exists($pagefile)&&filesize("$pagefile,new"))

But that's not enough, because it only generates an error message and the
current edit is lost. However, I prefer that to losing the entire page.

Cheers,
Radu
(www.monicsoft.net)