[pmwiki-users] Password trouble with pmwiki-mode at pmwiki.org

chr at home.se chr at home.se
Wed May 11 09:00:16 CDT 2005

On Wed, 11 May 2005, Patrick R. Michaud wrote:

> On Wed, May 11, 2005 at 03:37:24PM +0200, chr at home.se wrote:
> > > However, you probably don't want to deal with cookies in Emacs, so
> > > perhaps you could try doing an HTTP POST with the "authpw" value set
> > > to "password"?
> >
> > Um.. I tried the following URI, but it didn't work..
> >
> > 	http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Test/Password?authpw=password
> >
> > Should it have worked?
>
> No, I wrote the authentication module to only accept
> authpw values via POST requests -- somehow it just feels more
> secure.  If we can convince ourselves that it's okay to accept
> passwords from the url, then I can switch this to accept passwords
> from the URL as well.

Unfortunately I have no clue how the function 'http-get' that I use
actually works.  Looking at the source, it uses 'open-network-stream' to
open a TCP connection together with a 'HTTP GET' as in:
	  (open-network-stream
	   (concat "HTTP GET " url) buf
	   (if http-proxy-host http-proxy-host host)
	   (if http-proxy-port http-proxy-port port) ))

So if I understand you correctly, it'll never work (right now) using this
method?

Today, when I upload a modified page, I do use a method called
'http-post', so perhaps I could use that to read a page as well..

Anyway, I'll have to play with this later on...

/Christian